Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The hump: Overbay's new number, Neyer, and more

Apparently, changing his number to 17 was a priority to him re-signing. He will wear it to honour Grace and Todd Helton. And the Wells signing helped him make the decision.

Continuing with Jays news: Arbitration figures were exchanged and it's not too bad. Vernon Wells may need to start wearing a V in front of his name on his jersey. Wouldn't be bad for the Jays to take a flyer on Boomer, depending on cost.

A couple tidbits from the Rob Neyer chat yesterday:

About the Orioles: "They'll compete again when Angelos is not the owner and DePodesta is the general manager. "
I'm surprised to see DePo get some support, after doing the DePo's Reign I think he was fired too fast and deserves a second chance. I'm not sure Baltimore will be the place though...
About Josh Beckett: "My theory -- which I drove into the ground in this space last summer -- is that Beckett changed his style to avoid getting the blisters. And he did solve the blister problem. I'm just not sure he can avoid blisters *and* consistently pitch well. "

Well that's good news for Toronto fans, but bad news for a good young pitcher. It just goes to show that even a small injury can screw up the entire mechanics of an athlete.
About Gil Meche: "It's actually worse than it looks. Yes, I know there's talk about Meche's tools . . . but are the Royals' scouts really smarter than those of the other 29 teams, all of which were looking for starting pitching this winter? I kind of don't think so. "
Well, looks like J.P. "dodged a bullet". Meche has to thank his lucky stars he became a free agent when he did

Buster Olney wonders where Pena can get some playing time...what a wasted trade by Boston...Arroyo looks to be a good pitcher and they took a flyer on an over-valued player.

Keith Law talks about Alex Gordon's greatness and other good prospects. How excited should Royals fans be? What's that? Still no core around Gordon? It will be a long few years...

And our good friend Elijah Dukes was busted...I bet that you can't guess for what...Finally, some huge arbitration figures are being asked for by some key players...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Rosenthal article about Boomer coming back is strange. I have no qualms about Wells signing. I would love it in fact. I doubt it'll happen but it's strange none the less. Would you like it?

Dan Julien said...

I wouldn't mind it, he bring a lot of aloofness but he's a pro and he'll play hard for you. Not sure he would be the best influence on a young clubhouse but he may help Chacin out a little.


This Rosenthal article
talks about the Jays problems with pitching. They talk about certain Rios rumours too...I don't want him traded but Billingsley would have been a nice pickup me thinks. In 90 innings he had an ERA+ of 121 last season at the age of 21!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Charlie that it seems very strange. I think the weirdest part is that is says he would be interested in Toronto, even though he hated playing here according to his book. He ripped into the Toronto fans, and moreso, the media a few times. I think that he is really just interested in a contract, and he won't say no to the Jays in case everything else falls through. That being said, I'd like to see him back. Hes a pro, and certainly wouldn't let any personal opinions he may have interfere with him pitching his best. Finally, when did he play for Baltimore, I don't remember that.

Dan Julien said...

I didn't think his book would be great litterature so I never bothered to read it. But he's thrown a lot of innings through the last few years(except last season), kept his WHIP at a good number, and would be a good replacement for the lefty Lilly

Anonymous said...

I read it a while ago, and as I remember it was a quick read. Nothing really special. I've just always liked read biographies of people. The only things I really remember from it is what I mentioned and that he really seemed to like being in Alberta (?) when he was in single A. I think it was the beer mostly.

Dan Julien said...

Most probably was the beer with him, there's some good bars in Alberta. I like biographies too, but that one I skipped...

Anonymous said...

I read it a few years ago too. It was like previously mentioned a quick easy read. Somewhat interesting. That's what I found weird about him wanting to come back, is that he dissed TO fans. Oh well, it could just be posturing by Wells and his agent to get SD to up their price. Who knows. I still would love him back though.

Dan Julien said...

I think any above-average pitching that doesn't cost us any players off the roster would be welcomed at this point.

Dan Julien said...

J.P. says that they are not in depth talks...
"We've had no in-depth talks," Ricciardi said. "There is no offer on the table. If anything, there's been some tire-kicking."

Dan Julien said...

The Jays have signed Sal Fasano to a minor league deal