The Zips projection for the 2007 Blue Jays came out and they look good! Some thoughts:
- Let's start with the offense...Frank Thomas is listed as projecting the best OPS(.892) but having only 314 ABs...
- There are four starters who are above average at their positions:
- Overbay who is projected as having the best AVG and OBP on the team
- Wells who vastly outperforms the Average CF (.845 OPS to .774)
- Glaus, predicted to hit 34 home runs
- And obviously 5 under-average: Zaun, Clayton, Hill, Rios and Johnson
- Alex Rios I believe is under-valued in this...his HRs are projected to go down by 4 in 40some more at bats? His numbers across the board going down? I just don't see it...
- Middle infield is a problem...there's a surprise...
- Zaun isn't even a league avg catcher...
- For the under-rating of the hitting group...i think this pitching staff is over-rated
- FOUR members of the bullpen are projected with better ERAs than the league avg reliever!!! Led by closer B.J. Ryan (2.o5 ERA, 79 IPs), Brandon League (3.38 ERA, 96 IPs), Jeremy Accardo (3.69 ERA, 78 IPs) and Jason Frasor (3.77 ERA, 74 IPs)
- The big two are both slotted to miss starts (28 GS and 27 GS respectively) but are seen to have great ERAs, both under 3.7 and a combined 27 wins.
- 6 starters are seen as better than league avg for this team! SIX! Including Towers (even while giving up 28 HRs in 176 IPs). Thomson ranks as the third best starter but with only 127 IPs.
Finally in other news:
- 5 years, $250 million? Seriously? WOW! Is anyone worth this? Has no one heard of the NASL? Toronto F.C. tickets may now sell faster...
- And....the NBA has decided to let the fans vote for an all star team....of cheerleaders! Yes, ladies and gents, check out the contestants and vote now! Or just check them out, or...whatever...Enjoy!